A new year is upon us and with it, a chance to renew our resolve to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle. It gives us an opportunity to refresh our outlook, be healthy and strive for deeper, more meaningful connections. Here’s a look at some popular New Year’s resolutions, with tips for making them stick.
Here’s what other people told YouGov they were committed to (respondents were allowed to include more than one in their reports):
- Eat better — 37 percent
- Exercise more — 37 percent
- Spend less money — 37 percent
- Self-care (e.g. getting more sleep) — 24 percent
- Read more books —18 percent
- Learn a new skill — 15 percent
- Get a new job — 14 percent
- Make new friends — 13 percent
- New hobby — 13 percent
- Focus more on appearance — 12 percent
- Focus on relationship — 12 percent
- Cut down on cigarettes/alcohol — 9 percent
- Go on more dates — 7 percent
- Focus less on appearance — 3 percent
5 tips for making your 2018 resolution STICK!
- Be Reasonable! – Don’t pick goals that are unrealistic. Make a resolution that you know you can keep. Look at your schedule and see where you can make more time for the important things and set a goal that won’t be more stressful than beneficial.
- Talk About It Often – Be accountable to your new goals/resolutions by sharing them with friends, family members or your trainer 😉 Find a support network or group that focuses on that specific goal and you will be more inclined to not only keep your resolution but succeed by surrounding yourself with people who are on the same page!
- One Step At A Time- Try to focus on changing or mastering one new behavior at a time rather than overwhelming yourself trying to make 10 new changes at once. Don’t think that you have to reassess your life all at once.
- Don’t Beat Yourself Up – Putting yourself down for falling short is surely not the way to make a change, you are making great strides forward. A small step forward is better than none at all.
- Ask For Help – Accepting support from those around you will greatly improve your chances of success. Not only will you be amazed at how much better you will feel sharing the load but chances are you may have more in common with others than you think. Everyone struggles and had to start off small to get big results.
You are going to knock 2018 out of the park, just keep your head on and remember not to overwhelm yourself.
Much love and support to you this year,
Your GetF.I.T. Family.